Monday 15 December 2014

a night at the ballet

On Thursday evening we went to the ballet. I can guarantee even the scroogiest of Scrooges can't help but feel a little festive after attending a ballet, particularly The Nutcracker. 

The English National Opera are quite the experts when it come to putting on a magical display of pirouettes and arabesques so I knew we were in for a treat. Plus it was opening night, even better! 

   

Our seats were at the front of the dress circle so we had full view of the orchestra, which is always lovely. We arrived early and took in the view and listened to the orchestra tuning up and practising little ditties. 

   

The Coliseum is quite a spectacular building, with a huge domed ceiling and plush red velvet seating. We decided next time we'd get a box and drink champagne from our golden buckets...maybe. 

   

   

   

The performance was one of the best I've seen, and I've been to a number now! I still can't get over how unbelievably strong the dancers must be and how the girls are lifted as though they weigh nothing (highly likely they weigh no more than a feather, though). The costumes are particularly impressive- the Mouse King is quite terrifying with his skull mask and the Nutcracker is obviously exceedingly handsome. 

I wish I could have taken photographs of the performance but that's not allowed, I can assure you though, if you find any last minute tickets grab them before they run away! 

   

If only to see the extraordinarily good bottoms of the male ballet dancers (really, they are quite, QUITE something) or to enjoy a cultured evening of festivities, I can't recommend it enough. 

I hope you're all surviving your office work parties and have battled the crowds on Oxford Street successfully. 

If not, get cracking...! 



L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment