Thursday 4 December 2014

date nut bites

Continuing the festive streak, I have a little recipe for you. I take no credit for it though- the American brought it over the pond and it's one of his favourite things about Christmas. And I think it will be yours too.

Date nut bites (or balls, but I think that sounds a little suspicious) are tiny mouthfuls of deliciousness. I was admittedly a little sceptical thinking they'd be too sweet, but no no my dear readers, they.are.great. 

For a mountain of date nut bites you will need:

1/4 cup butter
8 oz pitted dates, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups Rice Krispies
1/2 cup walnuts
4 oz flaked coconut

      

First chop your dates and walnuts. The walnuts need to be fairly fine otherwise the bites don't stick together very well. 


   

Having chopped, melt the butter, sugar and egg together over a medium heat. Don't worry about the egg, it won't scramble on this heat, but obviously you want to cook it a bit so there are no dodgy tummies. 

Add the dates. 

                  

Mix the walnuts and Rice Krispies together and then pour in your gooey mixture and combine. I'd show you a photo but we both agreed, at this stage, it looks disgusting. 

You now need to let the mixture cool a bit and go tacky. Ten minutes should do. 

Next prepare a clean work surface and pour your flaked coconut (desiccated) onto the surface. You want to take a small amount of the sticky mixture and roll it in the palm of your hand into a ball. I found this very tricky so my balls looked a little mutated compared to his. Once you have a ball shape roll them in the coconut and place on a plate.
No touching now!

   

   

                 

                  

                  

                  

Soft and chewy and full of flavour, they're great as an after dinner sweetner with coffee or as a pick-me-up, any time of the day. He managed to eat a vast amount like a little chipmunk and I don't blame him, they're the best.  

I'm going home tomorrow for a long weekend so there'll be plenty of posts to follow. Hope you're not sick of Christmas yet! 



L. 










No comments:

Post a Comment