Thursday 9 July 2015

henley royal regatta

As most of you know, I love a good excuse to dress up, soak up the sun and eat food with my friends, so there was never going to be a reason why I'd miss Henley Royal Regatta this year. 

After a somewhat stressful journey to Henley on Thames, we arrived to blazing sunshine, a multitude of hats and a gaggle of friends from university. We found our gang, who had already set up camp- complete with gazebo- and headed off to the hump-back bridge for a spot of spectating. 


   

Lauren and I have somehow wound up with rowing fanatics for boyfriends so whilst they happily talked all things blazers, times and strokes, we watched the men and their arms. 


               

                

                

Venturing back to the car and picnic spot we feasted on a fabulous spread and plenty of Pimms and prosecco- all whipped up by Lady Lauren and her little helper, Matt. We were joined by yet more rowing blazers and enjoyed soaking up the fantastic atmosphere. The American and I decided a walk was in order to ease our food babies so we headed all the way down to Temple and the start line. 


   

                 

On our return we found a selfie stick so took advantage of our new find... I'm sorry, I loved it and will now always use it. 

   

           

HRR is a place where you're bound to bump into old and current friends- from school friends to work colleagues, we were greeted by a flutter of kisses and hugs. Clearly Henley is the place to be in early July.

After a final spot of spectating it was time to head back to London and slather ourselves in aloe vera- sorry mum, I am now a shade of lobster. 


                 

                 

HRR is a highlight in the Summer Season's calendar and an event I hope will live on for many years. Whether you enjoy rowing or simply want to kiss a boy in Mahiki (though, Henley really isn't the place for this), I thoroughly recommend heading to Henley on Thames (inside info: girls on the hunt for a rower- leave Mahiki and Chinawhite behind and head into town to The Katherine Wheel, this is where the real men are). 

Next year we will treat ourselves to enclosure tickets and maybe even an overnight stay in a BnB as the trains were truly dreadful. Regardless, Henley Royal Regatta treated us to a wonderful day, filled with sun, friends and world-class sport. I thoroughly recommend going.

I am now back in St. Albans for the week, so look out for some sunny pictures of my aunt's beautiful garden on my Instagram page. 

I hope you're all enjoying the week so far and haven't been trapped by the strike. 


L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment