Tuesday 30 August 2016

raspberry picking

Whilst The American is in America I've been enjoying some time at home. This bank holiday weekend I took the opportunity to head home early for a few extra days, soaking up the country sunshine and catching up with friends and family. My very best friend from school is getting married this coming weekend so I decided to have her, her fiancĂ© and another friend and wedding guest to come over for a casual kitchen supper. We gossiped about the big day, caught up with all their recent adventures and sussed out the dress whilst Toban was otherwise engaged. I can't wait to see Jess walk down the aisle - she's going to be a seriously beautiful bride. 

Earlier in the day mum and I headed out to the local fruit farm to pick up some raspberries for dinner. Bathed in the golden light, Clive's Fruit Farm is a short drive away from our farm and is a hidden gem in the Worcestershire countryside. Mum and I took an empty punnet each and headed for the poly-tunnels, saying hello to the piggies and feathery friends on the way over. 









Clive's makes it very easy for fruit picking, growing all the berries on tables so you don't have to bend too much. We split up and set about finding the darkest raspberries possible, all whilst trying not to eat too many along the way. We both came back with overflowing punnet and a few sticky fingers - it's so hard to resist! 











I shall always remember one of the first times I went berry picking with mum and my brother. We had been over to Hidcote Manor in the Cotswolds and decided to pick up some juicy strawberries and raspberries for dinner. Since then I have always been a keen picker and I think I made mum take us to Hidcote every summer after.There's something very simple and pleasurable about gathering your own food - maybe that's the farmer in me. Either way, I shall be taking my children to fruit farms to gather in the seasonal produce. 

The rest of the weekend was spent down in the Surrey Hills, attending my cousin's 21st birthday party. The sun was kind and we spent a happy night dancing under the stars, watching fireworks and catching up with old friends and family. 

A perfect way to spend the bank holiday, I think. 



L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment