Thursday 16 March 2017

february heat

I had packed for snow so when a week of mid-20 degree heat came along I was somewhat stumped for clothing. My dungaree dress and the single navy t-shirt I had has never been worn so much before. And dread to think I had to get my pale winter legs out in February! I pitied everyone who had to witness the anaemic white little things. 

Clothing aside, experiencing a heat wave in Maryland whilst the UK was being battered by Storm Doris was a joy to behold. Much of my time was spent reading in the garden whilst the poor American revised for exams. I have recently joined a book club (though am yet to go to the first meeting!) so spent happy hours reading The Circle by Dave Eggers - not normally something I'd pick up and read but thoroughly reccomend it to everybody my age; it is a terrifying glimpse into a future governed by companies like Facebook, Google and PayPal. In between reading and revising we made the most of playing sports outside. Basketball, baseball, catch, hockey, roller balding, you name it, we did it! 






               
We ate ice cream sandwiches from the local creamery, drank apple cider from my favorite fruit shop, Baugher's (this is actually a really sweet apple juice, not alcoholic cider as we know it) and we even had a BBQ one evening. It was quite extraordinary, especially seeing as the trees were still bare of leaves. 





Returning to London was always going to be hard, but especially considering we had enjoyed such great weather and London was sitting under a rain cloud. But, and dare I say it, I think Spring is finally here! The daffs are out and the crocuses aren't far behind them. Perhaps now is the time to start getting those anaemic white legs out, ready for the summer (failing that, I'll just find a good fake tan). 



L. 




No comments:

Post a Comment