Monday 27 March 2017

mandarin street

When Sophie and I were 16 we travelled to China with our school art department. Looking back it was quite an incredible experience and something very few might get the opportunity to do. In between visiting the Terracotta Army,climbing the Great Wall and riding bikes around the old walls of Xi'an, we also ate rather a lot of Chinese food. Therefore when we arranged to meet for dinner last week I was somewhat tentative when suggesting going to a new Chinese restaurant in Wandsworth. Were we still sick of the cuisine, even after 8 years?! Well thank goodness Sophie wasn't sick of it because my goodness we have found quite the little spot!




Mandarin Street is located on the Old York Road, an area of Wandsworth which is experiencing something of a food renaissance. I walk past every day and have been dying to give it a go. Its hand-painted mural and golden knocker have been winking at me since Christmas!

Although very small inside, Sophie managed to bag us a table (they don't take reservations but if you arrive and find no table they'll take your number and give you a call when there is space. I recommend you head to The Alma for a drink.) slap bang in the middle of the action. She'd already ordered a bottle and some spring rolls to nibble on whilst we decided how to tackle the menu. 



A bit like tapas, it's recommended you order 4-6 plates between two people. We settled with 5 as everything sounded delicious and we were feeling piggy. 



Pork belly bun, chicken dumplings, salt 'n' pepper squid, green beans and bang bang chicken salad. All were delicious and beautifully presented on Japanese ceramics. However, it was the green beans which we could have eaten bowls of - surprising for two girls who go weak at the knees for a good steak, sausage casserole or BBQ. But my goodness, they were incredible! In fact, I'm drooling just thinking about them now! 



These bad boys ^^^ will need replicating at home. I can't recommend them enough!


I'm having a bit of a bao moment right now and have been dreaming of the soft pillows since eating the best one in Berlin over the summer. I'm making my pilgrimage to Bao in Fitzrovia next week to get my next hit.. 

We gossiped the night away and caught up on each other's news, all whilst getting a little worse for wear. Safe to say we both felt a little heavy the next day!






I went to York this weekend to celebrate Ana's birthday - it was a glorious time and I can't wait to share some tales with you soon. 

Enjoy the sun!




L. 

No comments:

Post a Comment